Thyroid Problems, Hyper, and hypothyroidism are the two most commonly found endocrine disorders nowadays, originating as a result of improper functioning of the thyroid gland.
When the thyroid Gland, a butterfly-shaped gland in our neck, fails to work at its peak efficiency, it causes an overall imbalance of hormones causing many problems in an individual.
Symptoms of Hypothyroid and Hyperthyroid
This results in the form of,
- Fluctuations in weight,
- Bulging OF eyes,
- Mood swings disorders,
- Menstrual Problems, and
- Leading to Infertility.
However, thyroid disease is a serious disorder, but it that it can be permanently cured by adopting a few simple steps.
According to Modern science, thyroid problems cannot be cured. These can only be managed.
Here comes the role of Ayurveda.
Here, we will discuss to cure the thyroid problem of its very root cause, in the Ayurveda way.
Before 25- 30 years , there were very few people suffering from thyroid disease.
But today, in India alone, more than 42 million people are suffering from thyroid problems.
Today’s unhealthy, inactive, stressful life style the main culprit.
women being hormonally sensitive, are more prone to this disease.
However, today even males are faster getting thyroid.
Although, the thyroid is a serious disease, yet, it can be permanently cured, if you are really serious about making a few changes in your lifestyle to control it.
Home Remedies for Hypothyroidism
1. Depending upon Pills, is not the solution.
Two primary hormones produced by the thyroid gland are T3 and T4.
When the thyroid gland is not able to produce enough of these hormones or produces an excess of these, thyroid disorder develop.
So, at that time, this hormone is prescribed in the form of a pill.
Generally, this prescribed pill is T4, but it hardly helps to solve any problem. This pill would not cure your thyroid problem, but will only manage it, as long as you keep taking T4 in the form of a pill.
That is why we can see, patients around us taking this T4 hormone forever and ever, early in the morning, empty stomach and still having a thyroid problem.
These pills will not bring about an ideal hormonal balance, though these may have many side effects and in the hope to get cured through these pills, probably you are simply wasting your time and money.
If a thyroid problem is very serious, you should, without a second thought, stop taking these pills, but if it’s really serious quickly, taper down the medicine within a few weeks.
Now that you are not dependent on pills, the next step is, healing of thyroid gland in such a way that, it again starts functioning normally and efficiently, that’s, where Ayurveda will work for us.
Home Remedies for Hypothyroidism
1. Akhrot Taialm – Pure Cold Pressed Walnut Oil
There is one oil that has been described a lot in Ayurveda books to treat thyroid that I, Akhrot Taialm, that is pure cold-pressed walnut oil.
Every night, all you need to do is, before going to sleep, take 5 to 6 drops of walnut oil and massage the thyroid gland area to heal it.
Our thyroid gland is controlled by the pituitary gland, which is located at the base of the brain, so massaging the neck with walnut oil, is best for stimulating both glands.
Cold-pressed walnut oil is easily available online. In case you can’t arrange walnut oil, you can massage the neck with onion juice, that too is equally effective.
2. Coriander Seed Water
Just like walnut oil, coriander seed water is very effective for thyroid.
How to Use
- Take one teaspoon of coriander seeds and crush them not using a mixer grinder, but a motor pestle(Sil Batta or use chakla belan).
- Mixer grinder heats the seeds that will defeat the purpose. Try to grind enough coriander seeds at once and store them in an airtight glass jar to be used daily, easily.
- Now simply put these seeds in a glass of water over-night.
- In the morning, boil this water on a low flame to it reduces to half the quantity. This will ensure that all the vital nutrients have drained into the water.
- Finally, strain off the seeds and slowly sip, this magical medicinal coriander water.
Consume it in the morning at least 30minutes before breakfast.
.If you really want to get rid away of this disease out of your body, practice, both of these remedies daily for three months. This will solve half of your problem, regarding thyroid.
For the next half of the problem,
It is mandatory to practice yoga. The amazing thing about yoga in Ayurveda is that there are some very specific effective breathing exercises and Asanas for the thyroid problem, that are easy to practice too.
1. Ujjai Pranayam
This is probably the most effective Pranayam for thyroid Disease.
- Close your mouth and constrict the throat.
- Start to inhale slowly and rhythmically, taking one long and unbroken inhalation.
- Allow the air to pass through your constricted throat, creating a friction sound.
- Try to retain the inhaled air for as long as possible in the Jalandhar bandh position and then exhale through the left nostril.
- You might experience little coughing in the beginning, but that’s completely alright.
- Do it for 5-6 minutes.
2. Tank Vidya,
To do this Pranayama,
- Simply hum the sound of Om without opening Your mouth,
- Simultaneously keep moving your head up and down.
- While doing so, you can actually notice your thyroid gland, vibrating.
- This is an amazing exercise.
- Do it five times.
3. Singhasan or the Lion Pose.
This posture is one of the best to get rid of thyroid problems
- In this asana, the body and face are manipulated at once to invoke the force and intensity of a lion’s, roar.
- Do it ten times.
So doing these basic yoga poses, is a must for fast recovery.
4. Food and Lifestyle,
Iodine is the most important mineral for ideal thyroid function, but avoid iodized free-flowing, refined, common white salt, where iodine is synthetically added instead switch to rock salt or Saindhawa Lavana, which naturally contains iodine.
Things to avoid for those suffering from thyroid disease,
- Soy products,
- Stored refrigerated food, and
- Cold water,
- Make sure to use an earthen pot instead,
- Cabbage cauli-flower, and peanuts are three foods that can be consumed, but only if they are well roasted or cooked avoid these eating raw.
- Caffeinated and tannin based drinks like tea and coffee do hinder thyroid healing keep them to a minimum
It’s, necessary to stop eat preservative-laden packaged food and switch to fresh homely food
Eating raw, onion as salad, helps to cure thyroid problem.
Fresh seasonal foods must be a part of your daily diet.
Then there are some lifestyle changes.
- AVOID the use of plastic as much as possible, as they affect with hormone function, so switch to stainless steel and glass containers.
- Maintain proper sleeping timings and try to remain stress-free.
- Stop using nonstick or aluminum cooking utensils and switch to something like clay, brass, or iron pots.
- Try to stop, taking pills, try to taper them as quickly as possible, drink coriander seed water, 30 minutes before breakfast.
- Every night, massage your neck with cold-pressed walnut oil, make sure to spend 15 minutes daily for the massage,
- Do the specific yoga exercises.
- Stop taking the processed and preservative-laden foods, switch to fresh homely food, avoid refrigerated foods,
- Try to cut down on tea and coffee
- Include iodine-rich foods,
- Switch to metal and glass containers.
If you will wholeheartedly, follow these practices, depending on how long you have been suffering from it, you will be successfully able to root out thyroid from your body within 2 to 3 months